- Chicago Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
The Communications and Development VISTA will spend a year of national service building tools and capacity to support the external outreach, communications and messaging operations of Chicago Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights. They may also assist with development and fundraising tasks.
About VISTA: Chicago Lawyers’ Committee is part of a group of legal aid organizations in the greater Chicago area that collectively have a grant from the Corporation for National and Community Service to bring on AmeriCorps VISTA members to serve in capacity-building roles. This is a national service position with a stipend. Benefits for VISTA members are:
- Living stipend of $12,312 for 12 months of service
- Segal Education Award of $5,500 to be used toward further education or to repay loans
- Health/life insurance
- Transportation allowance
- Relocation allowance (if applicable)
- Child care (if applicable)
About Chicago Lawyers' Committee: We are civil rights lawyers and advocates working to secure racial equity and economic opportunity for all since 1969. We provide legal representation through partnerships with the private bar, and we collaborate with grassroots organizations and other advocacy groups to implement community-based solutions that advance civil rights. We identify and disrupt patterns of discrimination using a broad range of advocacy tools that include direct legal services, impact litigation, policy advocacy, community education, and coalition building. Our current legal projects focus on education, housing, voting and civic empowerment, public safety, and community economic development. Visit www.clccrul.org for more information about our work.
The Communications and Development VISTA's primary responsibility will be to work with the Communications Manager to strengthen the organization’s brand and raise our profile in the media and among communities impacted by racial and economic disparity. It will include maintaining and posting content to our web site, creating and sending newsletters about our work, designing and promoting flyers for our events, and posting to our social media accounts. This is a 40-hour per week, full-time position that will report to the Communications Manager.
Education level: College graduate with a communications, journalism, or related degree.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Interest in storytelling in a variety of mediums, and in the Chicago media and neighborhood landscape
- Proficiency with social media (Facebook and Twitter)
- Facility with SquareSpace, Mailchimp, and Little Green Light (LGL)
- Aptitude with designing event flyers and images
- Interest in designing infographics
- Careful and consistent attention to spelling and grammar rules
- Passion for social justice, racial equity, and the mission of Chicago Lawyers' Committee