- Legal Aid Society of Metropolitan Family Services
We are now hiring for a full-time Paralegal to join our Safer Families Program Team!
The Paralegal will assist complaining witnesses who have children with their abuser on requests for orders of protection in conjunction with criminal cases.
Essential Job Functions:
- Drafts petitions for order of protection for complaining witnesses who have children in common with their abuser, in conjunction with criminal cases heard at the courthouse located at 555 W. Harrison, Chicago.
- Works to ensure that all complaining witnesses with children in common with their abuser have an opportunity to see an order of protection in conjunction with the criminal case.
- Assists Attorneys in litigation the order of protection, including sending subpoenas for employment information;
- Works with the State’s Attorney’s Office (SAO), the clerk’s office, and the court to ensure efficient litigation and order processing.
- Inputs data and notes regarding work done and outcomes achieved in a timely manner.
- Participates in public relations and/or community education efforts as needed.
Metropolitan Family Services offers a very generous benefits packet to our professionals:
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield Medical Coverage: HMO, Traditional PPO, or PPO w/ HSA contributions.
- Dental and Vision Insurance Options
- 11 paid Holidays
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- 401K Plan
- Training and Professional Development Plan with E- Learning
- Wellness Initiative Program
- Employee Assistance Network
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university required OR ABA accredited paralegal certificate OR comparable experience demonstrating working knowledge of legal systems and concepts.
- Minimum of 1-2 years relevant experience, ideally experience aiding victims of domestic violence, sexual assault and family abuse,
- Excellent writing, recordkeeping, organizational, and communications skills.
- Paralegals who primarily serve victims of domestic violence must, upon hire, enroll for training and receive a 40-Hour Domestic Violence Certification within 12 weeks of employment.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
- A high level of overall performance demonstrating long‑term commitment to and broad understanding of quality legal aid work as well as ability to assume leadership responsibilities.
- Ability to master the operation of available computer hardware and software in assigned area.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse individuals and groups.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities