- Cabrini Green Legal Aid
Cabrini Green Legal Aid (CGLA) has strengthened lives, assisted families and supported communities – one person at a time for over 40 years. CGLA does more than give people a second chance – we are addressing the root causes of unemployment, homelessness, poverty and other challenges that contribute to crime and recidivism. This is accomplished by combining high-quality legal services with supportive services coordinated through strategic partnerships with social service providers, government agencies, and other legal aid organizations. Legal representation focuses on those negatively impacted by the criminal justice system through criminal defense work, criminal records work and civil cases that arise from criminal justice system involvement.
This position is a full-time fellowship for 8-9 months, beginning in February or March and ending on October 31, 2018, with the possibility of renewal. The primary responsibilities of this role are to implement priorities in CGLA’s Pro Bono practice, by working to maintain CGLA’s relationships with law firms, corporations, law schools, and individual volunteer attorneys and non-attorneys as a resource to expand CGLA’s capacity to serve the community. Reporting to CGLA’s Lead Attorney for Pro Bono Projects, this position will work with volunteer attorneys and law students as required to fulfill the needs of the organization, maintain current pro bono relationships, and cultivate new pro bono relationships on behalf of CGLA.
- Cultivates and manages relationships with domestic violence partner agencies through Allstate’s Purple Purse Foundation to provide holistic services to clients. Serves as CGLA’s primary point of contact for clients and partner agency staff.
- Provides education and training to staff and clients at partner agencies and to Allstate Corporation volunteer staff.
- Manages, trains, and supervises interns and volunteers to provide legal services for selected partner agencies, including prescreening, intakes, and on-site consultation.
- Schedules periodic onsite visits to assigned domestic violence partner agencies to provide legal consultations on criminal records relief options, prepare petitions to expunge or seal for eligible clients, and advise those who are ineligible to seal convictions regarding alternative forms of relief available. Coordinates these onsite visits with Allstate Corporation volunteer staff.
- Files Chicago petitions on behalf of the agency’s clients and represents them in court proceedings regarding their criminal records.
- Conducts onsite intakes for clients in need of full representation legal services and present these cases at CGLA’s weekly intake meeting.
- Collaborates with supervising attorneys for all legal program areas to schedule classes for pro bono attorneys and law student volunteers.
- Conducts classes as assigned throughout the year for prospective volunteers, including lawyers, law firms, and law students.
- Reviews legal work of Pro Bono attorneys on assigned cases to ensure delivery of high quality and timely legal services.
- Maintains up-to-date client information in CGLA’s case management system to ensure accurate data collection and statistical tracking.
- Works with the CGLA leadership team to ensure all program goals are met each fiscal year.
Required Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice and criminal justice reform.
- Licensed to practice in Illinois.
- Strong organizational, communication, and leadership skills.
- The ability to work collaboratively with staff, interns and volunteers.
- The ability to supervise interns and volunteers.
- The ability to manage multiple projects and a variety of tasks and meet all deadlines while being energized by the opportunity to work in a fast-paced, team-centered environment.
Supervisory Responsibility: None.
Required Hours: Monday through Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm, 40 hours per week.
Physical Requirements: None.
Working Conditions: Work is performed in a typical office environment.
We offer a generous benefits plan that includes health, vision, dental and life insurance, dependent care and flexible spending account for medical and transit, and 403(b) retirement account. In addition, CGLA offers Vacation & Sick Leave, Floating Holidays and 14 paid holidays per year. During the summer months we celebrate Summer Fridays by closing the office early.