For more than 50 years, LAF has provided people living in poverty in metropolitan Chicago with comprehensive free legal services to resolve non-criminal issues. Each year LAF’s full-time attorneys and staff help resolve civil legal problems, including domestic violence, consumer fraud, and unfair evictions.
Positions: LAF has received a new grant to substantially increase legal services for victims of domestic and sexual violence, human trafficking, elder abuse, and financial exploitation throughout Chicago and suburban Cook County. The Immigrants and Workers’ Rights Practice Group (“IWR”) at LAF is seeking an attorney who will focus primarily on immigration and human trafficking related issues under this grant. The expected start date for this position is July 1, 2017.
Responsibilities: Duties include, but are not limited to,
- Providing comprehensive legal services to clients with immigration and human trafficking legal issues identified under this grant;
- Co-counseling cases across IWR;
- Training staff on identifying the legal needs of clients with immigration related matters;
- Making appropriate referrals to outside agencies;
- Attending trainings and maintaining up-to-date knowledge of current legal issues surrounding immigration law;
- Assisting with grant reporting requirements;
- Conducting community outreach; and
- Other duties as determined by the Supervising Attorney and Director.
Qualifications: Applicants must be licensed to practice law in the State of Illinois and be committed to legal services. A minimum of 2 years of immigration law practice experience is required. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated interest or experience working with domestic violence victims or other victims of crime and be fluent in written and spoken Spanish. Applicants must have a valid driver’s license and be able to travel to suburban courts and community partner locations throughout Cook County.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume, copy of law school transcript, writing sample, and the names of two professional references to:
Please type “IWR Staff Attorney” in the email subject line. This position will remain open until filled.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
LAF IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF DISABILITY